July 14, 2009

SpellQuizzer Review

SQ1


I was recently given the opportunity via the TOS Crew to review a great product for homeschoolers. SpellQuizzer is an interactive, engaging and fun method of completing daily spelling lessons. The creators of SpellQuizzer have made our job as teachers so much easier. SpellQuizzer truly takes the work out of teaching our children to spell.

From their website:
The typical approach to preparing a child for his or her weekly spelling test is to dictate the week's words each night as the child writes them down. Then correct the spelling and repeat. It takes time. It's slow, tedious, and a chore for both the child and for you.

With the SpellQuizzer spelling software you can automate this process, taking up less time from both you and the student. Each week you input the child's spelling list into SpellQuizzer once. Then the child uses the SpellQuizzer spelling software to practice his or her spelling words.

SpellQuizzer plays back the words you recorded, waits for the student to type in the correct spelling and lets the student know how he or she did.

Our Experience:

I have to admit I was really excited to try out this software. I have been trying to find a way to make our weekly spelling lessons have a bit more fun and excitement... and I was hoping this might be the answer. When you first open SpellQuizzer, you come to this main page:

SQ2

The first option I tried was "Create a spelling list". This took me to the List Creation Page:

SQ4

The screens are very easy to understand and use, even on your first try. I have to admit I though we hit a snag when I realized that we didn't have a microphone to actually record the words in the computer. There are two solutions to this problem- you can either go buy a microphone at Walmart (about $10) or you can use the Reminder Phrase field on the screen above.

We chose to use the Reminder Phrase at first (we are planning on purchasing the microphone in the very near future). Lucky for us we were working on an animal unit so it was easy for my first grader to understand the hints such as "What animal says Meow?"

Once the list was created then my little guy got to try it out in an actual "quiz". Here is an example of the quiz screen:

SQ3

You can see how easy it is to use and my little guy just flew through his first "quiz". He got them all right and asking if he could do it again. We have certainly never had that "problem" before!!

Overall I really enjoyed working with SpellQuizzer. It truly does make the tedious job of teaching spelling so much easier. One of my favorite features is the ability to import and export spelling lists between other SpellQuizzer users. This would be great for anyone in a small homeschool group or Co-op who might be working on units together.

My impression is that SpellQuizzer is very user friendly and would work with all ages and grade levels. It is a great addition to anyone's homeschool library and I would recommend it highly as a great teaching tool.

You can download a FREE 30 day trial version of SpellQuizzer here.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!